HOME
What's New Site Map Bio Contact Links

Compositions:
Japanese Songs and Other Pieces
Multimedia Performance:
Songs/Arias with Slide Show
Photography:
Galleries and Photography Info

Tower of St. Jacobi

The Tower of St. Jacobi (St. James), Hamburg, Germany

Copyright 1994 Tomoko Yamamoto

The website of St. Jacobi Church in German and English
Photos of St. Jacobi--from Picture Archive of Hamburg

7 Churches in Germany:Main Page with Small Image for Each
Dom and Severikirche, Erfurt Night Skyline with Katholische Hofkirche, Dresden Tower, St. Jacobi,Hamburg
Pulpit and Altar at Georgenkirche,Eisenach Schlosskirche, Altar, Weissenfels Bartholomaueskirche, Altar, Dornheim
Thomaskirche, West Doorway, Leipzig

ABOUT THE PRINTPRICE LIST

Description:

St. Jacobi (St. James Church)

The church of St. Jacobi was mentioned in 1255 as a small chapel for traveling merchants and for pilgrims headed to Santiago de Compostela in Spain, (the link to the English version, but can be read in many languages), where the grave of the Apostle and Martyr James the Elder is located. The chapel was located outside of the city wall at that time. After the city walls were enlarged, the church moved within the city in 1260.

The church construction was finished in the early 15th century. During the Second World War, the church was burned out in a fire on June 18, 1944. Between 1951 and 1963, the church was rebuilt.

The church is famous for its Arp-Schnitger organ which Johann Sebastian Bach played in 1720.


Photography of Churches Second Presbyterian ChurchBaltimore Presbytery ChurchesChurches in Germany

Photography Galleries
Impressionist Reflection Landscape Bach Schubert Travel Churches

Keywords: St. Jacobi, Tower, Turm, Hamburg, Germany, Johann Sebastian Bach, Photo, Foto, Picture, Bilder, Tomoko Yamamoto


Update: September 23, 2006